Monday, January 20, 2014

2014 - a break then off we go again




2013 was a huge year for me and the basses. After the Ring I had the luxury of a week off before working with the Auzzie Pops Orchestra for the first time which was a lot of fun. We shot up to Sydney for two gigs in the opera house on 27 and 28 Dec before returning to Melbourne for two New Years Eve gigs in Hamer Hall. Soloists James Morrison and Marina Prior were fantastic. Marina reckons she is pushing 50 with 5 kids - I just dont believe it, as she looks and sounds way too good. And James Morrison is quite incredible. I have been lucky enough to work with him a few times, and heard his trumpet and trombone playing, but in this gig he played double and triple stops on the bone as well as performing solos on the alto sax and piano. Is there anything this man cannot do?

I am currently enjoying two weeks off before it all starts again in mid Jan, very early, with TSO. But I am not complaining as I am lucky to spend 11 weeks with TSO again, just as I did last year.

Later in the year a spell with OV beckons, plus some interesting dates with MSO. Its going to be busy once again.

Pension is in Sydney right now, having a new extension fitted by Neil Brawley.

Photo - the bass section having just played Gotterdamerung Act I (all 2 hours of it) for the last time. Only 5 hours of show to go! From L to R moi, Hugo Kluger, Nic Synot, Emma Sullivan, Lowri Morgan, Kylie Davies and Davin Holt.

No comments:

Post a Comment